Forest Oaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I want to put a shed in my backyard!

3 posters

Go down

I want to put a shed in my backyard! Empty I want to put a shed in my backyard!

Post  Oliver Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:17 pm

The website is very confusing about sheds. It states that they have to be wood, and match the house, and that metal sheds are strictly forbiden. What about plastic sheds? I have a nice plastic shed that matches the colors of my house, and generally looks nice... I have trees that block the street view of my backyard, and a cool enough neighbor. I'm NOT going to pull my plat, create a survey, and submit forms to get a place to park my mower. That said, what are the options / official stance of the HOA?

It's either this, or I leave my car on the street, which i hear is legal now.

I'd really like the new leadership take some time creating applicable FAQ's for this neighborhood. I find it interesting that people can keep an RV in their driveway year round, which clearly doesn't help the image of the 'hood.

Oliver

Back to top Go down

I want to put a shed in my backyard! Empty Re: I want to put a shed in my backyard!

Post  parc Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:41 pm

Note: I'm not on the ACC, but I HAVE submitted ACC requests.

Despite what the instructions indicate, you don't have to have a full-on survey of your lot. You can use a copy of the page that came with your title packet (if you got one) with no problem or a copy of my lot plan from documents your builder carelessly left on my lot. Here's the trick: just give them enough information to make a decision, preferably without having to talk to you.

My last ACC request included: a plat map (the aforementioned photocopy with a sketch), printouts of what the new item looks like (a playscape in my case), where you're going to put it, how you're going to make sure it is installed correctly (I specified footings and leveling information), the size of the improvement (especially if it sticks up over the fence), whether it's going to be visible to others, colors... in essence, think of any questions someone might have and write them down. They folks on the ACC aren't trying to deny your request, they're trying to make sure it makes sense, and the more information you give them the easier it is for them to make that decision.

I don't recall the specific dates, but I turned my application in on a Friday and had the response back the next week.

parc

Back to top Go down

I want to put a shed in my backyard! Empty Volunteer

Post  DEberwein Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:50 am

I would like to remind you that everyone of your board and committee members are volunteers. Giving of their own time, taking away from family to help better this community. Are YOU volunteering to give your time to collate the FAQ's that you believe is needed.

DEberwein

Back to top Go down

I want to put a shed in my backyard! Empty Offical response

Post  DEberwein Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:38 am

We do try to make the process as simple as possible.
We need information to understand what it is you are requesting. Please put yourself in our shoes.

A Cover letter Explaining what and when you want to do. Or What you want you want answered Propose What you want. & why if it is outside the standards explained in the DCCRs

• Fee -- To offset costs of Management process We pay to have the meeting documented and processed

Official Plat map -- Shows property lines as well as Build and utility easements -- This helps you as well as the ACC

Elevation Drawings -- A representation of what the finished project will look like A picture is worth a thousand word

Structural Design-- Give us the details of the project Tell us what you drawing can't; Color, type of material

The committee meets twice a month as well as reviewing applications as they arrive.

We make every effort to review each application not only from the homeowners point of view but from your neighbors both present and future.
We have to ask if we allow this then what could it lead to.

The DCCRs are a contract that we all signed when we purchased property in this community.
The ACC is volunteers trying to help maintain what you liked when you choose Forest Oaks.
The ACC is charged with upholding the DCCR’s regardless of their personal feelings.
We are all responsible to one another for maintaining our property values.

According to the DCCR's
(a) sheds are of wood or masonry construction, (b) have a pitched roof of the same pitch as the main dwelling structure, and (c) are
painted the same color as the trim on the main dwelling structure. Metal sheds are prohibited.

No sheds or outbuildings shall be permitted on lots adjacent to greenbelt or open space areas.

Here is the information on Sheds that I found in the ACC guidelines dated

a) The surface area of the pad on which the outbuilding is placed should be less than or equal to eighty "(80)" square feet,
b) The height of the outbuilding, including sheds, measured from the surface of the Lot to the highest portion of the outbuilding should be less than or equal to eight (8 ) feet for Forest Oaks and Silver Oaks. Forest Oaks Village outbuildings height shall be less than or equal to six (6) feet.
c) The outbuilding should be constructed within an area completely enclosed by a privacy fence of not less than six (6) feet in height for Forest Oaks and Silver Oaks..
d) Forest Oaks Village does not have a privacy fence The exterior and roofing of the outbuilding/shed should be constructed of the same or substantially similar materials as the exterior and roof of any residence located on the Lot:

The siding must be of at least the same quality as that used on the home.
The paint must match that of the home.
The shingles must be either the same as on the home or wood shake shingles.
The building need not be constructed of brick.
Metal or plastic sheds (e.g. Rubbermaid or equivalent) will not be allowed

e) The outbuilding/shed should be constructed within the property’s building setback lines in accordance with applicable building codes of the governmental entity having jurisdiction over the Property. No building may be located nearer than five (5) feet to an interior or rear Lot line.

The DCCRs are old and need to be updated to include new building materials. There was an attempt at getting the DCCRs updated but it failed to get the 80% approval needed to pass. New Texas legislation has modified several laws governing these guidelines which could help us to get them updated to include the new materials.

(SB 472) Allows members to change to governing documents if 67% (or less if documents already provide for less) of eligible voters agree
(SB 472 & HB 2761) Expands voting methods to include electronic, absentee ballots, proxies and in person

Willing to entertain restarting the deed reform committee, if we could get some volunteers... anyone interested ?

DEberwein

Back to top Go down

I want to put a shed in my backyard! Empty Re: I want to put a shed in my backyard!

Post  Oliver Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:11 pm

Thanks for the help!

Oliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum