Forest Oaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Archived Posts From Previous Forum

Go down

Archived Posts From Previous Forum Empty Archived Posts From Previous Forum

Post  Ben Mon May 24, 2010 12:23 am

The following messages were posted on the previous forum system. If you would like to respond to one of them, please quote it in a new thread.

ON THE STREET PARKING 49 5/8/10 7:57am

I have been hit nearly half a dozen times in the alley ways by either oncoming cars or cars entering from the side. I also have been blocked in when my other car is in the driveway by my neighbors parked behind me to the end of their drive making it impossible to back out and turn. I work on call and had to have the police come out and pick me up as my neighbor actually had a car parked in the alley way overnight making it impossible to back out at 3AM (also it is very dark at night with poor lighting and obsured views) I am sure that many of us would like to park on the street for many reasons and surly if we have overnight guests there needs to be somewhere for them to park . Please before the rules make living here impossible voice your concerns at the next meeting. There is no ordiance in Cedar Park the forbides on the street parking and the alleyways are not suited or 2 way traffic
Amy Allin - 7/12/08 2:39pm

I agree. Parking with in the alley way is limited and not always easily accessible. Parking on the street is often a necessity. It also is the norm in the community. Numerous cars are parked on the street nightly. Since this is the norm with in the community maybe the by laws need to be rewritten to represent the wishes of the neighborhood.
Shirley Borgmann - 9/5/08 3:15pm

I understand the need to make sure cars are not overflowing into the street. But at the same time, our neighborhood is not built to where parking in alleys and driveways are very efficient. For example our house has the tandem garage(horrible) and we can fit a MAX of two cars in our driveway. We do not have access to an alley in our section. We have 3 kids, and 2 adults...all have cars. Now do the math and tell me what kind of nightmare it is when we have to find ways to find a place to park an extra car because we happen to have a smaller driveway. I've noticed that we are an older family in the neighborhood and our kids are all of driving age, I would like to see what happens when more families in the neighborhood have kids of driving age and what kind of headache it becomes to the homeowners.
Maher Idais - 9/18/08 1:27am

Parking in the alley ways of FO Village is indeed hazardous and is in violation of the Deed Restrictions.

If vehicles are blocking the alley or are parked on open land, such as the land surrounding the drainage ponds, Real Manage should be notified so that the issue can be rectified.

Renee Coon - 9/20/08 2:45pm

The bylaws have been written to ensure the home values of the community. When someone buys a house in Forest Oaks/Silver Oaks they sign unde rthat they agree to abide all the bylaws.

If there is a problem with overnight parking it can be reported to RealManage or if the parking is causing danger to the general public the Cedar Park police department can be called.

The bylaw that govern the overnight parking was made to ensure the cleanliness and orderliness of the neighborhood as to preserve the property prices. If someone finds out they cannot keep the bylaws there are plenty of other communities in Cedar Park that allows overnight street parking.
Arild Kolsrud - 9/7/08 6:12pm

How funny!!! Property values change if cars are not parked overnight on the street? Is that because of the large amount of people showing their home between midnight and 7am so the tidy streets can be appreciated? MMMMMM does our property values increase then if we need to drive on alleyways that are not wide enough to accomadate 2 way traffic, are not lighted and with the chance of an over night guest there is no provision for parking? I guess they can park at HEB and walk !! I have called the police and was informed that the alley ways are indeed not safe and not to code for their intended use. I will keep that in mind so if I have an accident I can sue the association.....I hope though it is tidy one don't want to disturb the cleaniness and orderliness of my surroundings...it's just accidents can be so darn messy!!!
get real...the alley ways are unsafe I know I have avoided more then my share of accidents.
Amy Allin - 9/8/08 6:43pm

I find it interesting that the property value is a reason for the parking situation. Considering the age of the children in the area many families will find themselves with teen drivers at the same time. This is suppose to be a family friendly neighborhood. Without previsions for families with multiple drives the "family friendly " will be lost. This could potently force many families to move thus dropping the prices.
Some previsions will have to be made for multi family drivers and visitors.

Shirley Borgmann - 9/23/08 6:43pm

I happen to agree with Arild that parking on the street makes the neighborhood appear untidy. My section of Forest Oaks doesn't have alley ways and neither does Silver Oaks. If a change to the by laws is needed, it should only relate to those properties with alley ways behind the home and there should be limits to the time a vehicle can be there without being moved. This would prevent people from leaving "project vehicles" or broken down vehicles on the street. There was a home in our neighborhood that was leased to a rather large group of college kids ( I estimate a minimum of six vehicles) and they were constantly parking in the street. They rarely parked in the drive and never in the garage. This made the street look really bad and the vehicles were not just parked there during the night. Luckily, they have vacated the premises and the home is again for lease. It is my personal preference that the by laws remain as they are written for the specific section I live in.
Alice Suter - 9/9/08 6:34am

There is not a chance of this as another part of the restrictions prevent unregistered cars from being parked anywhere...AND it is against the deed restrictions to work on a car in your driveway or anywhere else in our subdivision...so, no shade tree mechanic jobs here...so, that is no reason to disallow parking on the street. In the city of Cedar Park you cannot park unregistered vehicles on the street....
Arthur Tolar - 2/2/09 9:13pm

Someone parks a car in front of my house most every evening and it obstructs my view of my kids playing outside. Please keep the streets clear.
Brian Banister - 9/18/08 8:15pm

I agree that it is rude to park in front of someone else's house! You need to park in front of YOUR own house. Because we have the largest yard on our block...we have everyone parking in front of our house at ALL hours...but, the situation in our neighborhood is that, there are not enough places to park, so we ALL have to give in a little. Our neighbor even offered for us to park in his driveway! How kind!! We have two college children. One attends UT and one attends Texas State. They both live at home...so, we have four cars. We are constantly shifting cars to try and comply, but honestly, our kids have lives and aren't always home when we oldies go to bed....and then, what happens when my sister visits from Houston?????? Where does she park???? Christmas we had four visitors. We were told if we parked in the pool parking, which we thought about, that our car would be towed!!!!!! Can you imagine??????
Arthur Tolar - 2/2/09 9:06pm

Can you not talk to your neighbor?????
Arthur Tolar - 2/2/09 9:14pm

I agree that when cars are parked on the street it creates an obstructed view of kids playing and people walking on or near the street. In addition, I am reading all these posts about parking issues with garages and having 4-5 cars per household. I have lived in Forest Oaks for 7 years and I often walk by open garages that are filled with boxes and junk and then people complain about not having a place to park. Hmm? Also, if your family has grown and you need 4 cars then it may be time to think about moving so that your parking problems don't become a neighborhood safety issue.
David Sammon - 5/8/10 7:57am

PLEASE COME TO THE NEXT GENERAL MEETING TO SPEAK OUT ABOUT THE RULES GOVERNING PARKING ON THE STREETS OVERNIGHT!!!!!!!!!! PARENTS OF THE LITTLE ONES WHILE YOUR CONCERNS ARE FOR POOL SAFETY AND THE INFAMOUS SLIDE SOMEDAY THOSE LITTLE ONES WILL BE DRIVING AND WILL NEED A CAR AND SOMEWHERE TO PARK IT......AND FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT ARE NOT FORCED TO USE THE UNLIT ALLEYWAYS I CHALLENGE YOU TO THE OBSTACLES OF TRYING TO DRIVE THEM AT 3 IN THE MORNING ESPECIALLY ON GARBAGE PICK UP DAY AND THE DEER IT IS CRAZY!!! FOR THOSE WHO KEEP STATING THAT THE NO PARKING ON THE STREET INCREASE PROPERTY VALUES PROVE THAT POINT AS I AM UNAWARE OF ANYONE SHOWING THEIR HOMES OVERNIGHT!!!
THE BYLAWS ARE OUTDATED...AND COMPROMISE SAFETY!! PARKING CARS THAT ARE NOT RUNNING AND LEFT TO DIE ARE SUBJECT TO TICKETS THROUGHTOUT CP...BUT COME ON PARKING ON STREET IS A COMMUNITY STANDARD IN CP AND SHOULD BE HERE TOO.
Amy Allin - 10/6/08 10:43pm

Hi
The are multiple options how to deal with this:
A) Keep the bylaws as they are and have a large amount of non compliance
B) Issue 1-2 parking sticker per house making control of street parking easer
C) Have an odd/even program. Parking on odd side of street on odd days and even on even days. This would keep parking on one side of the street elevating the safety issue, eliminate non running cars (since they have to be move daily), and keep any one individual house from having cars parked in front of it daily.

Any thoughts?
Shirley Borgmann - 10/22/08 4:51pm

I think the current board is mired in their knee-jerk response about how the deed restrictions have to be complied with without any regard for alternatives. Based on the meeting this evening (10/22/08) it sounded as if the Board does have the discretion to bestow waivers if the offender can make a sound case for the violation. I would hope that the Board comes to some rational alternatives on this topic. The ones you proposed are viable as well as the option the Board is looking into about allowing on-street parking during the holidays. (Maybe some of the folks at the meeting that were ranting about putting cars on blocks in the streets or parking semi rigs on the street really don't have friends that come visit?)
Another option to consider - change the deed restriction to allow parking cars overnight but not commercial vehicles, trailers, campers etc. Perhaps another avenue to pursue is to see what the State has to say about what an HOA can really do. Perhaps our little organization has overstepped its boundaires.
Personally I found the tenor of a lot of people there, and particularly the one wanna-be board member, insulting on the whole topic. Just because someone has need to ocaissionally have a car parked on the street overnight does not make them a red-necked hillbilly who wants to posit junk on the streets. I wonder if getting an 80% support level for changing the Deed Restrictions is as impossible as they made out?
James Bradley - 10/22/08 9:54pm

I was confused why they said we need an 80% approval to change any bylaw. Why wouldn't it be 51% which means the majority of homeowners? It just seems odd that 79% of a neighborhood can be against something..yet that isn't deemed enough to warrant a change in any policy. Very odd...
Maher Idais - 10/23/08 1:33am

Because like the rule itself it makes no sense..
Amy Allin - 10/24/08 10:06pm

Who said it takes 80% approval. That is not even legal.
Arthur Tolar - 2/2/09 9:15pm

I find it interesting that "overnight" is not defined in the restrictions. So, honestly if someone takes me to court, they will find my lawyer happy to contest what exactly "overnight" means.
Arthur Tolar - 2/2/09 9:17pm

James,

Regarding the power of the HOA in the state of Texas, you can find out quite a bit of information for yourself at http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/pr.toc.htm. In particular, read the sections under Title 11. In the state of Texas, the HOA has the power to foreclose on your home if dues are not paid, fines are not paid, or deed violations are not complied with. HOA boards have nearly complete legislative, executive, and judicial power over homeowners. I am not defending the Texas property codes, or agreeing with the total power of HOA's in Texas, I am just sharing the info you requested.

At the HOA meeting, it sounded like there would be a holiday waiver on overnight parking, and that as you mentioned waivers can be granted to those with valid reasons for overnight parking (such as Law Enforcement vehicles that MUST remain on the street). Because of their response, it sounds like the board and RealManage (separate entities) are open to ideas. I am not sure what the next step would be to make these proposals a guaranteed reality, but they seemed open to the waivers.

Regarding the offense you took from a crowd comment, I did not personally think he was suggesting those who occasionally park on the street are the same people who would put a car on blocks. To me, his point was that if HOA rule X, which we all agreed to when moving in, is abolished then why not HOA rule Y? And then rule Z? And then we have no rules? Again, not taking sides or agreeing that modication to one rule leads to a collapse of all rules, but that is how I interpreted his comments.

There seem to be a number of complaints on this topic, but I did not see many resolutions proposed. Should we allow 5 overnight "freebie" tags a year for those with the occasional overnight guest? Should we allow overnight parking every day of the week only for those in the section with alleyways? Should we take a vote on totally abolishing the overnight policy? Whatever your proposed compromise or solution is, I'd suggest putting it before the board and researching how you would put it to the vote of the homeowners. I honestly don't know how to go about that myself, it's probably buried in the documents on this website I imagine.

There are some items in the HOA documents that I did not necessarily agree with fully when I signed them. However, I will abide by them or try to get them changed through the board and fellow homeowners if I feel passionate enough about it. If it were to be proven that a majority of my neighbors do not agree with my position, then I would have to accept the democracy in that (I am ignoring the non-democratic 80% thing here). I enjoyed the HOA meeting (my first to attend) and hearing from fellow residents, I hope we continue to have big turnouts and that the homeowners are all active in the direction of the neighborhood.
Otis Raring - 10/31/08 2:01pm

Getting the deed restriction amended would be grand. I think from reading this thread that several folks have come up with sound alternatives. Guess the next step is to root through the Magna Carta and ferret out what the process is. I also plan on researching the state regs. Sounds like HOA's are imbued with way too much power. Having the ability to seize someone's s property without due process because they for example, left their trash cans out too long sound fascistic.

Perhaps I was a unique case but when we bought our house here, and it was time to sign on the dotted lines, there wasn't a copy of the deed restrictions made available. Not that I would have likely spent a couple of hours pouring over it during a closing process though.

Anyway, thanks for the link to the info on the HOA regs.
James Bradley - 11/1/08 12:09pm

AMEN JAMES AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arthur Tolar - 2/2/09 9:18pm

We cannot do that on our street as there are very few spaces to park on the north side of the street( the street must be constricted on that side and our curves, so we have a large area in front of our house to park, yet the house across the street has barely room for one car).
Arthur Tolar - 2/2/09 9:10pm

Amen.
James Bradley - 10/22/08 9:56pm

I conttacted the management company as i Side swiped my car on a fence at 4:07AM on the infamous alleyway avoiding a trash can left in the middle of the road and I did not see.....as I have stated that they are are unsafe and there are no lights etc.... I thought I would share the response I received from Keri:

The alleyways are not roads or streets they don't even have names...they are alleyways. My car insurance company wants to make the HOA responsible.

So we are force to drive on alleyways that the HOA treats as roads!! but admits aren't I 'm not
Amy Allin - 10/29/08 7:46am

Wow! You must have been going really fast. I can't imagine how I'd side-swipe a fence dodging a huge trash can if I wasn't going well over 10 MPH. I'd think you'd be driving more slowly and carefully at 4AM when darkness / tiredness impairs your visibility. If you were going slower, you could have just pressed the breaks, got out of the car, and moved the trash can. And your insurance company wants to make the HOA responsible??? I find that shocking. I would have figured they'd want to pay for the damage themselves... You should consider moving to a house with a driveway in the front. I don't think alleys are for you.
Brian Banister - 10/29/08 9:41am

thanks for the driving tips!! and I did not know it was my job to move trash cans but thanks for the heads up!!!! The fact I was going less then 10 miles an hour, was not tired, and the black trash can was such that I braked and turned to avoid thus hitting the fence. and though your reply was silly and the response to move is pathetic.........I do agree alleys are not roads and therefore we should not be forced to drive them unless they are properly lit and wide enough to accomadate CARS
PS can you come move all the trash cans!!! I have a life
Amy Allin - 10/29/08 11:33am

Next time hit the trash can. Then you will definitely have someone to blame. They are all numbered. There does seem to be a big problem with on-the-street parking in Forest Oaks colony and hopefully there is a solution for all to enjoy. Just as long as the solution does not mean that parking on Park street will be permitted. Park street is just a little wider than the alleyways and has a lot more traffic. Once you allow on-the-street parking ALL streets are fair game. Just my thoughts.
Brett Thomas - 10/29/08 7:37pm

with the holidays coming all you anti on the street parking friends do you have your company park at HEB and shuttle them over ? Just a thought? or do you eat out to keep the street clear?
Amy Allin - 10/29/08 8:34pm

Didn't they say in the meeting the other week that they could change what days checking on overnight parking was done? Why can't those days be the 1st and 2nd of December?
Brett Thomas - 10/29/08 8:51pm

It would also solve the problem if they just announce the days they are driving around and checking. That way they will not have to send out letters because we will all be in compliance on those days. Smile
Shirley Borgmann - 11/10/08 6:39pm

I totally agree....I think honestly, the only people in the neighborhood who are FOR the non-parking on the streets are the ones walking five dogs! Where are the "enforcers" with all the multiple dog owners homes???
Arthur Tolar - 2/2/09 9:00pm

I am so happy I don't have to deal with trashcans, cars, allies, and darkness! augh!!!
Arthur Tolar - 2/2/09 9:21pm

no rule makes everyone happy but living in community takes compromise and that is all I think most of us want. This needs to be addressed by the HOA and they need to seek a solution so that the community's needs are met. there seems to be a large amount of people who have needs to park on the street NOT abandon their cars and I think as adults a solution can be reached. I think it is sad when neighbors reply with the solution "just move!"....that would be like telling people with children the slide at the pool is dangerous and the life guards cost too much money so those families with children should move....but instead the HOA found solutions to the pool problem....now they need to do the same with the parking.
Amy Allin - 10/30/08 7:31am

OK - I'm now an expert on the deed restrictions after spending about 8 hours reading them and their supplements.

Parking on the street overnight is clearly stipulated and can only be changed by the Declarant (Forest Oaks LLP in CA) or by 80% of the homeowners in a vote that limits one vote per household. Nothing in the deed restrictions stipulates how such a vote is to be held and there has never been more than 30% attendance at a meeting.

One other deed restriction most of you are not aware of is that no owner may park more than 2 vehicles on his property and visible to the public view for more than 72 hours.

There is also no method that the board has for granting some sort of waiver for any reason. If they say they can it is untrue and from an ill-informed opinion that they have the power to waive the deed restrictions.

I do not see how parking on the street overnight lowers home values. Thats the argument that continues to be voiced by a minority few led by Traube. Proof that most homeowners agree with me is the fact that there are approximately 600 violations of this deed restriction every month (and thats based on only 2 inspections per month.)

People who live here continue to have growing families and to say to those with growing families that should simply move really haven't paying attention to the costs associated with moving. For instance, when my father-in-law died 3 years ago I took my mother-in-law in for the rest of her life. She still drives but now may be forced to park her car down at the swimming pool parking lot.

Voting method is not defined. Therefore this matter can be solved by going door to door and recording a vote on our own. I intend to ask the board for a listing of all people in the neighborhood who have been cited by the association as a starting point.

Is there anyone out there who would like to meet with me to get this problem solved in a civil way?
Dennis Parker - 11/7/08 8:33pm

In attempting to squeeze my 3rd car onto the driveway and avoid another nastogram from the HOA I received another one citing me for blocking the sidewalk.

I pored through the deed restrictions only to find out no such restriction exists anywhere. When I voiced my disatisfaction with the management company they siggested I contact the board president.

He listened nicely, acknowledged that there was no such deed restriction and promised to contact Cedar Park Police the next time instead of sending me a letter from HOA.

I've researched the city ordinance prohibiting blocking a sidewalk and found there is a clear exception "when parking in a designated parking space" to blocking a sidewalk. I contend my driveway is my designated parking space. I provided a copy of the ordinance to the board president and he's responded saying he still thinks I'm in violation of the law.

I researched the ordinance at the police department and the city attorney's office and discovered that our board president is the person that got the ordinance passed in the first place several years ago.

Dennis Parker - 11/7/08 9:26pm

Holidays are coming and for those of us with friends and family and yes some of them stay over there is no where to park our company's cars except on the street which we all know is not allowed and to some that overnight parking lowers home values!!! so a solution is that we park on our lawns or any grassy areas which is allowed in the deed restrictions!! don't worry I am lucky I have a BMW I can park on my lawn so that should help increase home values but my kids college friends well at least their car has wheels and old Clinton stickers!! so save the streets park on grass!!!
Amy Allin - 11/25/08 6:36am

Just yesterday we received at threatening letter from OUR HOA. It is for parking in the street. We have not parked our truck in the street for over 3 months. so even compliance to the silly rule that does not represent the community is not enough to make the HOA happy. My husband is feed up and ready to move. I think I am going to take the HOA suggestions and park in the grass, since not parking in the street has not stooped the letters. This way we will be in compliance and our pretty truck should make a nice lawn decoration.
Shirley Borgmann - 12/9/08 8:29am

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

And so, that's why there are groups of Like-Thinkers that gather together under the purview of contracts like HOA's. In this case, if one has issues with any, or all, of the covenants then they have the option to locate a different group/culture of Like-Thinkers and attach themselves (aka other HOA's & neighborhoods that have rules and regulations that they can agree with and uphold).

It is unfair that some residents should not uphold any/all of the covenants on which some people's decisions to purchase a home may have been based. Minority or majority, the covenants on which this HOA was founded and which were in-place when each of us moved here are the responsibility of each resident to uphold for as long as they continue to elect to live in Forest Oaks Village.

Linda Hart - 12/10/08 4:04pm

Life thinkers? what are you talking about ? Is this some weird austin stuff? My issues are safety and perhaps you should try driving in the middle of the night and not be able to back out of your driveway because your neighbors behind you are parked to the end of their driveway, or there is a garbage can overturned in the middle of the road,or when coming home cars do not stop conming out of the alleyways do not stop, or the view to turn on the alleyway is obstructed and there is a child playing or someone walking their dog you can't see!. I am all in favor of rules and am requesting that if indeed the alleyways are to be driven on then they need to be safe, wide enough to accomadate 2 way traffic and to back out on to, illuminated for safety. I do not believe it takes life thinkers to understand that safety is the issue and unfortunately there are some of us who work nights....and we should be made to feel safe. I have already been robbed in the the 3rd month I moved in and want to feel safe and should. I do think it is unfair for residents to establish covenants that only protect them selves and perhaps those life thinkers should attach themselves to a select group that is only concerned with a few and discriminates and is bias to others. Also again you cant please all of the people all of the time but it seems that if the covenants does not affect your safety then it's OK!!!! Also what is the criteria to establish such a rule when city wide there is no such law or problem?
Amy Allin - 12/10/08 8:26pm

LiKe-Thinkers = people of the same views or convictions
Linda Hart - 12/10/08 9:21pm

You make an excellent point, Linda. I'm a like-thinker. Smile Amy, safety is important, but I don't see any of your issues that can't be resolved by driving slower in the alleyways, watching for backing out cars...basic defensive driving techniques.
Brian Banister - 12/10/08 10:05pm

and the lack of lighing? and when the cars behind me are parked to the edge?and when the road is obstructed which it is frequently when the cans are not brought in or boxes knock over into the road? and when the roads cannot accomadate 2 way traffic? or the views are obstructed to turn due to fences and greenery? How is this corrected with defensive driving....these are safety issues!!! then the same goes for the slide which occupies all the meetings and why do we need life guards when children under 12 are suppose to be with an adult then they should trained in CPR? I do drive defensively but these issues are safety........PS there have been times that my neighbors behind me actually had parked cars in the alleyways and I was completly blocked in and had the police come bring me to work and the POLICE told me that the alleyways were dangerous. I would prefer parking on my driveway or garage 24/7 as my mercedes was stolen from the front of my house in April...it is the safety issues that make it difficult and unpredictable especially when i am on call
Amy Allin - 12/11/08 11:28am

The board cannot grant waivers, there is nothing in the declaration that allows for it. This means, for ALL of you, if and when you have family over and not all of the cars fit in the driveway you will be in violation. The policeman in the neighborhood who believes the state law allows him to park on the street is correct. He moved into the neighborhood knowing the deed restrictions prevent parking on the street and besides, there is no such law about emergency vehicles being "required" to park on the street in Texas.

If all of the deed restrictions were enforced then sidewalks in cul de sacs would have to be ripped up and you, the homeowner would have to replace it, 4 feet from the curb like the deed restrictions require. Those of you with more than 4 pets are in violation of the deed restrictions especially if more than 2 of them are dogs. The deed restrictions don't allow a carport to be built yet there is at least one very expensive home in the subdivision that has one. Check the deed restrictions about fences and you'll find that all of the ones in the MIlburn section are not in compliance.

LIKE THINKIERS? explain please how parking in the roadway here is any different, any more property-depreciating than anywhere else on the planet? Do real estate sellers bring clients out to our subdivision at 3am to see how clear the streets are? I'm thinking you should change that phrase to CLOSE MINDED.

Just as soon as I get another notice I'll begin parking on the grass. There are no restrictions against it and no law prohibiting it. Your property values will diminsh rapidly, so hope you're not planning on selling anytime soon.

Dennis Parker - 12/16/08 8:52pm

Fortunately...we live in a democratic nation and if like-minded thinkers want to CHANGE something...kinda like many laws that are outdated....get together and CHANGE it! Fortunately, YOU are the one who is outnumbered! So, maybe you need to find the "like-minded" thinkers and find yourself another village....
Arthur Tolar - 2/2/09 9:26pm

I elected to buy a house with a white plastic fence and the deed restrictions said I needed a WOOD, NEIGHBOR FRIENDLY, PRIVACY FENCE....did I stop. Did I say, no way????????? Did I replace my plastic, neighbor friendly fence with a wood NOT friendly fence...no....so, am I in violation???????????????????? My deed restrictions I received say that all of us in the Village are in violation with our fences...so, if I can't park on the street, then everyone needs to replace their fences!
Arthur Tolar - 2/2/09 9:31pm

History has some names for Like Thinkers .......all gathered under a belief with no tolerance to change or others!!! What were their names again?
Amy Allin - 2/6/09 4:27pm

Who might those people be, Amy?
Brett Thomas - 2/8/09 4:45pm

I see the same names appear/reappears on the whining/complaining side of the "parking on the street" section. The truth is that we all chose to sign to abide the bylaws when we moved into our neighborhood. We are not forced to live here, so if someone has a cow about the bylaws, it is perfectly legal to move to a neighborhood without any restrictions.

The problems with parking on the street (in general and at any time of the day) are:

1) If kids are playing on/near the street, they are difficult to spot when they bolt into the street.

2) It makes the passing for cars much more narrow and more proned to accidents if you meet a car.

3) It does look untidy. If you have ever lived/driven in a neighborhood with no limitations on cars in driveway/street parking - it ain't nice looking!

It always seems that the minority group on any topics/opinions are the ones who are the loudest. "You Signed - You Abide!" Clear and simple!
Arild Kolsrud - 12/4/09 3:41pm

Garage Sale 2010 4 4/6/10 12:13pm

Does anyone know when the 2010 neighborhood garage sale will be?
Summer Lawlis - 3/11/10 2:18pm

I'ld like to know too! Also, is there an egg hunt this year??
Zoe Roach - 3/16/10 8:23am

I would like to know too!! If there is not one planned maybe we can pick a date and post it on this forum?? who is interested??
Scott Vanlandingham - 4/5/10 8:28am

I am also interested in knowing when the community garage sale will be. This year, I'd like to see it run for both Saturday and Sunday. That way, among other benefits, residents would be better able to both sell stuff and shop. Also, we should probably have an alternate weekend scheduled in case we get rained out again. Which committee is scheduling and organizing?
Michelle Eads - 4/5/10 1:13pm

I'm ready whenever! In fact this Saturday is to be nice and I am planning on pulling stuff out. Before, when we waited to participate, it was almost too hot to have to stand outside for hours.
Katherine Cuff - 4/6/10 12:13pm

North Lynnwood 0 12/12/09 2:17pm

Anybody know of plans for North Lynnwood to continue through to 1431?
Terry Cooper - 12/12/09 2:17pm

CALL THE PRESIDENT 0 10/5/09 10:34pm

John Traube
512-260-4030
If you are sick of the harassment for parking on the street, call him. Speak to the President.

Arthur Tolar - 10/5/09 10:34pm

PARKING ON THE STREET 0 10/5/09 10:30pm

Ok. We haven't parked on the street OVERNIGHT one night. We received a letter for a car that was not ours...my husband came home from lunch(he was working the late shift) he was parked on the street from 2-3AM and we got a letter! ONE NIGHT...so, they are looking on the street ONE NIGHT A MONTH????? BS! We weren't on the street overnight! ONE HOUR!!!!!!
This was dropped because we hadn't gotten any letters but now we have. I would like to know where we stand with our legal matters. I am sick of this harassment! And it is harassment! ONE HOUR! That does NOT break the dead restrictions!
Arthur Tolar - 10/5/09 10:30pm

Construction at East Park and Vista Ridge across from High School 1 8/28/09 7:55pm

Does anyone know what is being constructed / worked on with all the clearing and grading across the street from Vista Ridge High school. My limited research indicates this is Leander ISD land. They cut down EVERY Tree and are doing a fine job of making that intersection as ugly as possible.

Hope someone might know what is going on there.

Thanks
Gene Lukow - 8/24/09 5:32pm

The school board is discussing the details of the regional stadium planned for this site. Part of the bleachers are planned to be incorporated into the hillside on the property. The school board is still discussing the number of seats for the stadium, which will be more than 9,000, but not more than A.C. Bible’s 10,000.

The regional stadium is funded through the 2007 bond package. The bond package wording requires the stadium be completed by 2011. However, due to rising construction costs, the school board is considering a 2010 opening date. No decision has been made on the completion timeline. Decisions regarding the timing of construction, seating and final design will be made in the next six months.
Alice Suter - 8/28/09 7:55pm

Pets 0 8/21/09 10:09am

We ourselves do not have pets yets, but our neighbors on either side do. Their cats and small dogs run around in our front and fenced back yards. We have found poop on our porch, dogs digging holes in our back yard, cats going through our plants and recycling on our back porch, climbing the trees to get to birds nests, etc.

Any suggestions on what we can do to keep them out?
Birava Patel - 8/21/09 10:09am

Rules 0 5/13/09 3:06am

digging back into the history of Forest Oaks the no parking over night rule came about because the builders needed the streets car free so they could bring in construction crews and their own trucks early and not have cars parked on the street blocking their crews!!! also the CP police cannot think of any other streets in CP that have no parking rules over night other then here at Forest Oaks and the HOA, Real Management has no other properties they manage that have this rule!!! Way to go Forest Oaks rules made to accomadate builders long gone and now have many, many homeowners miserable,,,except those few with no friends, relatives or family members that drive....... they like the rule.
Amy Allin - 5/13/09 3:06am

On another note.... 3 4/20/09 4:43pm

Can we go for a kinder neighborhood...stalking...are you kidding me?????
Arthur Tolar - 3/20/09 5:42pm

Arthur you are one angry dude. Are you stalking me? Checking out my backyard? Yikes. Don't do anything weird okay - don't mess with my dogs or my kids, I mean, it's just an opinion. On that note, submit an article to the newsletter and state your own case to the peeps. I don't think anyone is stopping you and I'm sure they will print it. No reason to attack me personally though.... Along those lines - seriously - was it absolutely necessary to belittle my tree house building abilities? Your quote: "and are those boards nailed in his trees...are they supposed to be a treehouse????" Harsh. The kids in my alley really dig that thing. It took me and my neighbor Scott a whole afternoon to build it. I realize we're not the best carpenters but still....wow!
David Karabinas - 4/14/09 10:13pm

The comment about the treehouse was to bring to the attention of the architectural committee....my point being...we ALL need to abide by the rules and not just pick a FEW we want to enforce and pick on SOME of the neighbors...we allow your treehouse and you allow people who have children living at home to park on the street. My opinion that some things are "unattractive" are just as valid as your opinion...and being allowed to voice your opinion in such a public forum, should be allowed to all members of our neighborhood. Live and let live. I am in no way angry...just upset that some people are being unfairly scrutinized.
Arthur Tolar - 4/20/09 3:53pm

Yes.
David Karabinas - 4/20/09 4:43pm

City Legalities 2 3/26/09 11:13pm

I contacted the CP police today. According to them, jurisdiction for the street/roadways belongs ONLY to the city. The HOA only controls the properties!
They said that the HOA has NO say in whether we park on the street...only the city. SO what is up with the NA fining or even sending out letters?? The police dept said that frequently, HOA overstep their boundaries, but legally, cannot say or enforce who parks--legally--on the street! Now I am wondering why we are even talking about this!!
Arthur Tolar - 3/4/09 1:22pm

Sgt. Phillip Townsend, code enforcement officer from the Cedar Park Police Department says that the NA has NO jurisdiction over the streets...they are public property and thus they have NO authority to tell us whether we can park there or not. He said they DO control the alley ways...but in no way can they tell you whether or not you can park in the street.
Arthur Tolar - 3/4/09 2:08pm

Despite what Mr. Traube said in the newsletter, I believe that the Cedar Park police is more of an expert on the law than him. Please stop ruling by fear....
Arthur Tolar - 3/26/09 11:13pm

HOA MAKES RULES WITHOUT HOMEOWNERS VOTE 1 3/26/09 11:08pm

As per a conversation and email exchange I had with Kerri Scott I was informed that the overnight parking is enforceable by Mr. Parking Inspector between the hours of 11pm-4am. When I again questioned how can there be any enforcement when the deed restrictions (which she agreed) had no specific times and therefore left to the intrepretation of each of us. her response was that "WE" decided that these were the times and they of the "WE"S" checked with the lawyer who said that they can enforce fines and violations. I requested the legal definition of overnight parking, she did not have, I asked who is WE she could not answer, I explained at my 209 hearing and at the homeowners meeting there was no definition of times of overnight parking and that there were many different times presented...so how did these times come to be? she did not know except the "WE"S" told her. I asked how was Mr.Parking Inspector was paid how much how many hours etc..if he was not in the 2008 budget, she told me well he is now. I also asked her if he was submitted to a background check as he is driving thru our neighborhood checking license plates and ownership of cars and is privy to that information she questioned why would there need to be a a background check. I told her how can anyone abide by the rules when in the deed restrictions there is no defined times of overnight parking and they keep changing? The pool times are very specific they don't stat closed after dinner why aren't the overnight parking times specific? The speed limit states 30 miles an hour it doesn 't state go slow? It will take 1200 homeowners voting on a agreed time to be able to enforce this ridiculous rule before it can be enforced.In Kerri's weak defense she told me she did not know all the anwsers to my questions as she oversees many properties. I did ask her what defines overnight parking in those other properties and she told me none of them have such a rule. She did promise to forward my questions to the board...these same questions were suppose to be forwarded in Jan, Feb and now March
Amy Allin - 3/6/09 3:31pm

I have requested SEVERAL things from both the neighborhood association AND Kerri Scott and receive NOT ONE ACTION. Nothing. I was referred to the NA lawyer, who, in turn, did NOTHING.
Arthur Tolar - 3/26/09 11:08pm

Forest Oaks Mailer 1 3/23/09 3:59pm

It seems there are problems in the neighborhhood that make it look trashy, and it's not cars parked on the street. Has anyone taken notice of the entrances located at Lynnwood Trail and Darkwoods? The Sec. 8 housing and other apartment complexes in the area boast a better look. Please don't give the excuse about the Brushy Creek road construction. These entrances have been an eyesore for the last 3 to 4 years. I forget how much is budgeted to send out the mailers but couldn't the funds be put toward planting some bushes and flowers for a more appealing and inviting look? And how much money has been budgeted for the Easter event? It's a shame that our HOA dues cannot be put to better use.
Tracy Talu - 3/23/09 3:11pm

I have agrued he same point especially now with the housing market so bad it would benefit us all to have our HOA money better spent then on a parking inspector's salary. Driving up Park Street is an eyesore in of itself and I am sure scares potential buyers away ( I know I almost truned back) so an attractive entrance would be nice and cost effective. I asked about the Easter Egg Hunt too and Santa.....Without sounding like a bummer I think it is money we don't need to spend and if we do have too then ALL RELIGIONS should be honored and celebrated.
Amy Allin - 3/23/09 3:59pm

2009 GARAGE SALE 1 3/17/09 12:00am

Does anyone know if there will be a neighborhood garage sale this year?
Summer Lawlis - 3/11/09 3:36pm

Community Sale will be May 16th and there will be advertisements in the Austin American Statesman along with signs posted at the entrances of our neighborhood.

Jennifer Matthews
Jennifer Matthews - 3/17/09 12:00am

Bills in The State Legislature Regarding Property Owner's Associations 0 3/1/09 3:44pm

There are a number of Senate and House Bills that have been submitted for consideration this session. As Owners in the Forest Oaks HOA I think it would be in the common interest to to stay abreast of these bills and correspond by email, mail and/or telephone with your State Representatives and Senators to endorse the passage of these bills or some sub-set of them. In particular review HB1976 (http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/81R/billtext/pdf/HB01976I.pdf). That has some very much needed limitations on what an HOA may do to its members. As you may be aware, there has been an on-going hue and cry against the HOA practice of harassing owners about parking on the street overnight. Granted it is in the deed restrictions but prior boards have wisely elected to ignore it due to the cost and lack of reasonableness in enforcing it. There are others as well but that one is the hot topic of late. Part of HB1976 prohibits an association from restricting on street parking. There are a lot of other things in this bill that will negate the restrictions against many of the unreasonable restrictions in the HOA dedicatory document (deed restrictions).
James Bradley - 3/1/09 3:44pm

Neighborhood Association Meeting 0 2/3/09 4:13pm

Next Tuesday, February 10th is the neighborhood association meeting. I encourage you, if you ever plan to have guests stay the night at your house, or ever intend that your children will grow up and someday drive--and at the rate they are building schools around here, that won't be long, you need to be at the meeting to support changing the deed restrictions so that parking on the street is allowed. If we do not support this, it will not be changed.
And think about remodeling your home...if you need your garage to store materials--like us, we needed to store the tile we were using to tile our bottom floor and that was the only place to store it. The neighborhood association would not allow us a waiver to park on the street....and we were told that if we parked at the pool, our car would be towed.
Arthur Tolar - 2/3/09 4:13pm

Dog Barking 1 2/2/09 8:57pm

Where did all the dogs come from?? I live amongst many neighbors that own dogs. I am a dog lover myself but with so much barking, I no longer believe I live in a peaceful neighborhood. OFtentimes, I find myself unable to fall asleep because of all the dog barking. Once one dog starts, all the others chime in. Is anyone else having this problem? What have you done about this? I have called the police multiple times already and feel like I'm hitting a dead end. I wonder if the reason so many people have their homes up for sale is because of this problem.
Patrick Maki - 7/20/08 11:40am

We sleep with a fan. Seems like the only thing the FONA is enforcing is the parking restriction since they don't seem to be enforcing the two dog limit per household....
Arthur Tolar - 2/2/09 8:57pm

Parking situation 0 2/2/09 8:52pm

I disagree that the board is in any way open to work with different situations for parking. We were tiling our downstairs before Thanksgiving and our garage was filled with tile boxes(have you ever lifted a box of 21 1/2 X 21 1/2"tiles???). We couldn't leave them on the driveway because we had already received a notice about that...and no, the association did NOT alllow us the waiver! AMAZING...we were bringing up the value of our house and they wouldn't allow us a parking waiver!!! We didn't have driving children when we moved into this neighborhood..so, never a thought was given to the restrictions..afterall, it said we had to have a wood privacy fence and we all had white plastic fences!!! I just didn't take it seriously! Should I go tear down my plastic fence and put up a wood privacy fence??????? I am breaking the deed restrictions, aren't I????
Arthur Tolar - 2/2/09 8:52pm

Breakfast with Santa 12/10/2008 1 12/11/08 11:32am

For those experiencing a problem posting to the Social and Recreational Committee discussion group this group was created 12/11/2008.

Please provide your input of your thoughts for this event. Your input will help us to plan better for 2009.
Jennifer Matthews - 12/11/08 8:53am

The breakfast this year was better than in the past. We liked that all the food and activities were outside and the santa pics were the only thing in the room. I'm not 100% sure how the Speed Pass idea worked, as we were towards the front of the speed pass line and were out fairly early. However, we felt that (and again, this may have been the case) everyone with a speed pass be taken BEFORE anyone without one. Especially since the regular 'non-speed pass' line was much shorter than the other. Another suggestion for next year would be to have people RSVP and give them a number in line based on when they RSVP'd (sort of like Southwest airlines does when you check in online). We did like that families could snap a few of their own pics with santa, as not everyone has the monetary resources to buy the professional pictures. The donuts and juice were great!
Patricia Micks - 12/11/08 11:32am

Cat FOUND Dec. 10, 2008 0 12/10/08 3:36pm

FOUND - very sweet orange and white female cat Found in 1200 block of Rawhide Trail, Forest Oaks Village. Temp has been below freezing the past two nights and I am alergic - if you think this might be your neighbors cat, please tell them about this posting.

Linda
512-275-6281
Linda Hart - 12/10/08 3:36pm

HOA 0 12/9/08 8:17am

Does anyone that represents the HOA read these posts or are we all just venting to each other?
Shirley Borgmann - 12/9/08 8:17am

Dying trees 1 11/9/08 5:26pm

There are many large trees in the neighborhood dying. The problem seems to be spreading and endangering all of the large established trees. I have contacted the HOA to find out if they are unaware of what is causing the problem. They informed me that this is an individual homeowner responsibility This is a problem that is effecting the whole area. If these trees die off the property value will suffer. It seems to me the reasonable solution to this community problem is the HOA hires an arborist to identify the problem and then find a company that will give a bulk price and then inform all the property owners of the problem with the information on correcting the problem.
Shirley Borgmann - 11/9/08 11:27am

they are to busy paying someone to drive thru the neighborhood to see who is parking on the street overnight as they feel that lowers property values (does anyone show their homes between mignight and 6am) and that the dying trees are hardly noticed during the night just during the day,,,,wonder how much they pay for the night time prowling and is money well spent when trees and landscape need attention?
Amy Allin - 11/9/08 5:26pm

Parking on the Grass in Forest Oaks
0 11/9/08 10:50am

I've researched the deed restrictions, bylaws and everything else in the declaration documents and cannot find anything that prevents anyone from parking on any grassy area, including one's own front yard.
- seems like deed restrictions would have been written to prevent this.
- in order to change deed restrictions we have to get 80% of the households to agree to do so
- while we're at it perhaps we could do something about being allowed to park on the roadway overnight.
Dennis Parker - 11/9/08 10:50am

Your Fence in Milburn does not comply with deed restrictions 0 11/8/08 4:15pm

4.05. Fences and Sidewalks. Milburn shall design and install, by customer option or standard issue, uniform fencing. Fences shall be of wood, wrought iron or decorative metal construction, or a combination thereof, and shall not exceed six feet (6') in height. Lots shall be fenced so that with respect to any portion of the fence which faces any existing or proposed Street, the slats shall face the Street. All other wood fencing shall be "good neighbor fencing" (i.e., fencing with the slats alternating by section of the fence, where a "section" is a portion of the fence between support poles, with the slats in one section facing into the Lot and the slats in the next section facing outward from the Lot). Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Architectural Committee may, in its discretion prohibit the construction of any proposed fence, modify the requirements as to how slats of a wood fence shall face, speci fy the materials of which any proposed fence must be constructed, or require that any proposed fence be screened by vegetation or otherwise so as not to be visible from Public View.
Dennis Parker - 11/8/08 4:15pm

Lost Cat! $100 Reward! Black with White Belly and Paws 0 11/8/08 12:51pm

found

Otis Raring - 11/8/08 12:51pm

What are they building on Park Street?? 3 10/25/08 8:39am

We are becoming increasingly concerned about whatever it is they are building on Park Street, across from where they are building the elementary. At first it appeared to be industrial but now it appears to be a building that will contain farm animals and/or livestock of some kind?! And it is an open air building. We are assuming maybe this is for the FFA at the high school or something but it is only a block or so away from houses. I know what kinds of fun smells and such go along with an area that keeps large amounts of farm animals, that's why I chose to live in a house in the suburbs and not on a farm. Does anyone know what this building is going to be??
Valerie O'Neill - 9/20/08 12:22am

The building you are referring to is the Agriculture building for Vista Ridge High School, built on school owned property
Jennifer Matthews - 9/23/08 1:34pm

Ok well at least it's not a commercial venture, but does anyone know if they will be keeping/housing farm animals there during the year??
Valerie O'Neill - 9/23/08 1:41pm

The building appears to be a barn of some sorts and I read an article in the newspaper that is is connect to Vista Ridge High School.
Joe Capesius - 10/25/08 8:39am

Lawn care recommendations? 1 4/22/08 11:36am

Anyone have lawn care "secrets" we could share in a future newsletter?

E.g. We use a 10-5-10 fertilizer, plus Spring aeration, but mainly just mow at the highest height on the mower (best thing you can do for St. Augustine grass), and a power edger to keep the runners at bay.

For pests, including fire ants, we use Bayer Multi-insect Killer granules, and plain old corn meal as a fungicide (for brown rings that show up in the Fall).

What are your secrets to a great-looking lawn?

- Bob Heckathorn
Margaret Heckathorn - 11/26/07 1:51pm

Our first winter we had a real problem with Annual Bluegrass (Poa Annua). It looks like stalks or clumps of green grass growing up amidst the dormant grass (St Augustine in our case). The following fall we treated with a pre-emergent weed killer, and it worked really well. If anyone is inclined to put it together, I could sure use information and reminders about what to do on the lawn each month. Smile
Benjamin Wilson - 4/22/08 11:36am

Property Taxes 0 4/22/08 11:29am

WCAD increased my appraised value by 10% from 2007 to 2008. I'm interested to know what people think the real increase/decrease amount is. Does anyone have any relevant observations? -Ben
Benjamin Wilson - 4/22/08 11:29am

Neighborhood Garage Sale 1 4/21/08 2:55pm

Does anyone know when we are having our neighborhood garage sale? Typically it falls around this time of year, though I have not seen any advertisements/postings as of yet. Seems like they should be giving the homeowners a heads up so more houses can be involved and make it a huge success.
Stephen Hennig - 4/15/08 7:38pm

The Social Committee has this scheduled for May 31st, but there should be something in the upcoming newsletter so all our neighbors can participate.
Jennifer Matthews - 4/21/08 2:55pm

Lost Trash Can 0 4/14/08 9:17pm

During the stormy weather last Wednesday my trash can was lost. Did anybody on Trailridge end up with an extra. My address is 207.

Thanks, Terry Cooper
Terry Cooper - 4/14/08 9:17pm

Ben
Ben
Admin

http://forums.forestoaksonline.com

Back to top Go down